INSTITUTE OF HEALTH PROMOTION AND EDUCATION
.. Skip navigation ..
Apologies were noted. Proxy votes were recorded.
1. Welcome by the President
Our President, Elaine Tilling, welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. Minutes of 40th Annual General Meeting
An amendment was noted to item 5 of the minutes. The surplus should have read £4243 not £5243.
3. Matters arising
• Professor Blinkhorn had met with Professor Tones who has now retired. He has since written to the Professor of Health Promotion at Leeds Metropolitan University.
• Elaine Tilling had decided on the winner of the Best Published Article Prize for 2003 and would inform the Editor of the International Journal.
4. Report of the Council of the Institute for 2003
• The Secretary thanked Pat Davies and Helen Draper for their work. He also thanked the President who had worked incredibly hard organising the conference.
• The Institute had given advice to the Department of Health.
• Advice had been given about obesity and health, diet and health.
• The Institute reaffirmed its support for fluoridation.
• We continue to offer advice to postgraduate students about careers in health promotion.
• The Secretary is concerned that the Council of the Institute is at its smallest for a number of years and a request for new members was made.
5. Financial Report and the Accounts of the Institute for 2003
The accounts had previously been circulated to members. The Treasurer reported a £5030 surplus and capital of £21,611. In view of the pressures on departments and academics the Treasurer proposed that the Corporate subscription rate not be increased to £60 at this time. This was seconded by the Secretary and the rate will remain at £30 per annum. He also requested the Institute to reconsider the financial recompense to Pat Davies and Helen Draper in view of the enormous amount of work done on the Institute's behalf. This was agreed.
The Treasurer thanked everyone for making his term of office enjoyable and gave his support to Peter Ruddell, who will take over the role in 2005.
The President thanked Tony Hawkes, our Treasurer, for his sterling efforts over the last 5 years. This was supported by all the Council.
6. Appointment of Independent Examiner of Accounts
It was agreed that Boardmans continue for the next 12 months.
7. Report of the Editor of the Journal
The Editor sent his report:-
"During the last 12 months we have published four issues of the International Journal of Health Promotion and Education. The Journal is the major publication of The Institute and has included articles on a wide range of health related topics including smoking behaviour, dietary intake of adolescents, health coaching, preconception and pregnancy, coronary heart disease, home zones, and physical activity. We published one special issue on stress, co-edited by Professor Palmer and Dr Pittu Laungani. Special issues on specific topics will be continued in 2004.
As in previous years, I am keen to encourage our IHPE members to submit relevant research and practitioner papers as well as book reviews.
I would like to thank our editorial team Dr Fiona Blinkhorn, Dr Pittu Laungani, Jennifer Liston-Smith and Katie Hamilton. In addition, thank our editorial board, referees, authors and the IHPE Council for their on-going support. Also I would like to mention Linda Jones, our hard working typesetter who has typeset and helped to edit the Journal since we changed it to its A4 format over a decade ago".
8. Appointment of Tellers
9. Election of Officers (nominations in accordance with the Constitution)
Officers of the Institute for 2004/05
President E J Tilling, MSc, Dip (Man. Studies), MIHPE
President Elect R J B Willis, MA, MSc, FRSH, FRIPHH, AITV, MIHPE
Honorary Vice Presidents A C Butterworth, CBE, MSc, PhD, RMN, RGN, RNT, DN, FRCN, FRS, FMA
P Laungani, BA(Hons), MA, PhD, FRSH, FISMA, MIHPE
S J Palmer, PhD, CPsychol, FRSH, FRIPH, FISMA, FRSA, FIHPE
C D Spielberger, BS, MA, PhD, ABPP
B Qureshi, FRCGP, MRCPCH, MFFP(RCOG), AFOM(RCP), HonMAPHA, HonFRSH
Honorary Secretary A S Blinkhorn, BDS, MSc, PhD, FDS, FPHM, FIHPE
Honorary Treasurer A J Hawkes, LDS, BDS, DDPH, MSc, FRSH, AIHPE
Honorary Editor of the S J Palmer, PhD, CPsychol, FRSH, FRIPH, FISMA, FRSA,
News and Features Editor J Liston-Smith, MA(Oxon), MSc, MISMA, MIHPE
Members of the Council for 2004/05
D Attwood, BDS, MPH, PhD, MIHPE
P Ruddell, BA, MRSH, MISMA, MIHPE
A Woodcock, Dip H.Ed, M.Ed, MSc, MIHPE
10. Any other business
11. Date of next meeting
To be decided.
© Copyright Institute of Health Promotion and Education 1999-2009 Page last updated: 14.02.13